Saturday, June 7, 2014

A New Addition to the Family

My husband has my back.  He doesn't understand my love of sewing but he does appreciate a vintage machine.  He found this at a local garage sale today:



  

A 1915 Portable Singer with a shuttle bobbin.  I  had one of these a year ago and sold it at our local quilt show.  This one has a much nicer case although I need to find a key for it so I can put it on securely.  This one can join my 1947 featherweight, Regan, and my 1963 portable, Faithful, in my developing Singer family.  I named my featherweight Regan because that is my DIL's name and her maiden name was Singer and I love her:)

Garden news:  The tomato plants are thriving-that is news as I have tried toms in pots with little success.  Planting them around the compost pile seems to be working.


All of them have numerous blooms-hopefully they will develop into toms!
Have to get ready for a fabric dying class-have a great weekend!

1 comment:

magnoliasntea said...

Wow, Elaine, your new/old machine is really beautiful. I love those swirls and the red accents. The case is especially nice, too. How sweet of your husband to buy it for you. Did any other feet or bobbins come with it? I keep wanting to open the little compartment on the right and look in there for them, but my computer screen ain't letting it happen, lol.
I have a 1915 hand-crank portable, and I love it, but the case has no key, either. I need to buy one, too. Here's the link to the blog post I did on mine if you'd like to see it:
http://foothillsofthegreatsmokymountains.blogspot.com/2012/09/yay-for-old-and-cranky.html

Those tomatoes are looking good. :) Enjoy your class!